Sunday 29 July 2012

Pictures Speak Louder Than Words

I have started painting 'Picture Pebbles'- pebbles with small images instead of words!


A few of the Picture Pebbles
 These pebbles have been inspired by the knowledge that sometimes words cannot quite sum up what you want to say. Sometimes pictures have a deeper meaning, and convey thoughts and feelings in a more powerful way.

Also, I love the idea that pictures are universally recognised, and so the Picture Pebbles cross the language barrier that words present.  As someone interested in languages and cultural diversity, it is important to me that The Pebble Garden is not purely monolingual.


Daddy's Flowers
I first painted a Picture Pebble in memory of my dad, with three flowers on it. They are a replica of the flowers he used to draw in everybody's birthday cards, which made me realise that pictures could be used to make pebbles even more personal than words or names can.

Picture Pebbles are unique and powerful when they stand alone, but they enhance the meaning of pebbles with words on, too. I have been experimenting with combining Picture Pebbles with words, coming up with a variety of different combinations.

A Picture Pebble 'Creation'!

The Picture Pebble range currently includes a star, heart, flower, cross, sun, sunrise, music notes and a treble clef. If you have any suggestions for other Picture Pebbles that I could paint as part of The Pebble Garden, please leave me a comment and let me know!




1 comment:

  1. Anyone who regularly received a card from Mike will recognise the flowers!x

    ReplyDelete